AN AUTONOMOUS AGENCY
TO TURN SENEGAL INTO THE PREFERRED DESTINATION
OF PRIVATE OF PRIVATE INVESTMENTS IN WEST AFRICA.
The Investment Promotion and Major Projects Agency
(APIX) is the culmination of a process meant to rationalise the institutional
system designed to support investors through:
- Restructuring the Private Sector support system
- Simplifying administrative procedures
- Preparing a framework law on investments
- Implementing strategies for the development of
priority packages (Tourism, Cultural industries, Building and civil
engineering works and Assembly Industries),
- Business Start-up Formalities Centre, etc.
It is in this context that APIX was set up in July 2000, giving concrete
expression to the new authorities' strong political will to develop
a strategy to attract private investors and initiate major infrastructural
projects to support
Missions et Services offerts
- Search for and identification of investors ;
- Promote Senegal as a preferred destination for
Direct Foreign Investment ;
- Welcome and provide support for investors in Senegal
- Provide, on a permanent basis, economic, commercial
and technological information on the key sectors of activity ;
- Assist investors in formalities relative to the
setting up of businesses and in obtaining various administrative authorisations
in respect of access to land, building permits, licences, etc.
- Support in the search for funding and/or partnership;
- Follow-up contacts with investors;
- Follow-up and evaluate investment projects in Senegal
- The realisation of major
infrastructural projects initiated by the President of the Republic,
based on the BOT, BOOT model, etc.
Created by Decree n° 2000-562 of 10 July 2000,
the Investment Promotion and Major Projects Agency (APIX) is directly
attached to the President's Office. In carrying out its mission, the Agency
is placed under the direct supervision of a Strategic Committee for the
Promotion of Investments, whose members are appointed by Presidential
Decree. The Strategic Committee comprises :
- A Chairman
- Three Private Sector representatives
- Three representatives of the State
- The APIX Director General.
A multilingual team with practical experience,
will be devoted to all the necessary stages in the implementation of
your investment project including:
Processing applications for eligibility to
operate under the Investment Code and the Free Export Company ;
Assisting investors to deal with problems such as :
- Access to land
- Obtaining various authorisations and licences (building permit, various
- Support in the search for funding
- Serve as facilitator and conciliator in disputes with Internal Revenue
- Carry out studies to improve the Business environment.
- Manage the Business Formalities Centre.
A modern one-stop shop
To enhance the management of investment projects, APIX opened a modern
One-stop shop to deal with :
· processing all administrative formalities required for the creation
or transformation of businesses, in the same office and on a single registration
application file ;
· authorisations to operate under the Investment Code and Free
Export Company status ;
· Monitoring investment projects approved within the above-mentioned
incentive schemes, etc.
Besides, a programme of Action is under way
to institute a quality approach at the level of the APIX one-stop shop
for an ISO 9002 certification.
A constantly improving business
In order to further improve the business environment
and in collaboration with public administration services, APIX has initiated
several activities namely in :
· Restructuring the Private Sector Support mechanism
· Simplifying Administrative Procedures
· Preparing a framework law on investments.
A bold private investment promotion policy to finance
the building of infrastructure to support production is already in place
To successfully implement these important projects
which will be funded through the principle of concessions to the private
sector (BT, BOT, BOOT), the Major Projects Department works closely with
the technical ministries and other competent State services.
To that effect, APIX was entrusted with the realisation of the following
Major Projects initiated by the President of the Republic:
- New International Airport
- Toll motorway
- West African Business Centre
- Standard gauge railway station
- Port of the Future
- Ore Tanker Port of Bargny
- Rehabilitating the Port of Saint-Louis
- Exploiting the iron mines of Eastern Senegal.
APIX also implements an aggressive
marketing policy in order to :
a) - Give Senegal the image of a destination favourably
disposed for Direct Foreign Investments, by highlighting its key assets
which are :
- Remarkable political stability
- A healthy and liberalised
- A "B+/Stable/B"
grade issued by the Standards & Poor's Firm in July 2000
- A stable 5 to 6% growth per
annum since 1995
- A low inflation rate
- Stabilised public finances
- Convertible currency with
a fixed exchange rate
- Membership to an important
sub-regional market, etc.
b) - Promote the generation of direct foreign investments.
To achieve this goal, our action is based on
four essential pillars :
· A judicious positioning and targeting
o Define our comparative and competitive advantages per sector
- A dynamic positioning based on the benchmarking of our competitive environment.
· An aggressive promotion policy
Organise awareness and promotion seminars
Awareness/Information Seminars on business opportunities in Senegal
Organising "Roadshows "
Prepare programmes for visits
Organise meetings to promote "matchmaking" between Senegalese
nationals in the private sector and foreign investors
Participate in official and prospecting missions of employer organisations
Modern communication media and others
An internet site www.apix.sn and www.investinsenegal.com
Magnetic tapes presenting a promotional film on the business environment
in Senegal (films, CD and DVD)
Brochures in several languages
A vocal server accessible throughout the day, to inform investors in several
Advertisement posters in Senegalese Embassies abroad
Targeted actions for direct marketing
Human resources of quality
A young, dynamic, multilingual, team with practical experience in the
private sector and ....
A SOLE AMBITION : Turn Senegal into the West African
model of economic development
52-54, rue Mohamed V, Immeuble Alwar - Dakar - SENEGAL
(221) 849 05 55
(221) 823 9489